As of December, 2009, this blog is inactive at this location. All posts have been transferred to the new location here. You are very welcome to read and comment.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

The fullness of all Truth


Come, Holy Spirit: fill the hearts of your faithful,
and kindle in them the fire of your love.


'I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, because he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine. For this reason I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you. (John 16: 12-15).

This comforted me when I came across it. I had been questioning lately whether this is something that I want to do, especially as things are going so well at my current church. I am really struggling with the issues that will accompany leaving, and these are only the ones that I have thought of.

However, the text quoted above reminded me of the original reason I started out on this journey an has strengthened my resolve to continue it. I shall have to pick up the pieces at the time, and prepare as best I can for that, but I cannot compromise on this. Unfortunately, though I love my church and the people there, it is not an island and does not stand alone, but is in full communion with a wider church that embraces all that I cannot be part of.

This something that I must do. I think that another visit to my Orthodox priest to talk these things through is in order. As a former Anglican himself, he has been in a similar position, but much more so, as he was a priest of the Church of England before his conversion. I find this very comforting, as I do not have to explain my position in great detail before explaining my feelings: that foundational understanding is already there.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Incidentally, isn't that icon just gorgeous?